Corporate / Business Law
Criminal Defense
Estate Planning / Probate
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Personal Injury
Real Estate
Social Security Disability
Workers' Compensation
Wrongful Death
Scott D. Brown
John P. Lander
Kim R. Snitker
Travis M. Armbrust
Kaitlyn J. Ausborn
Brown, Kinsey,
Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C.

214 North Adams,
Mason City, Iowa 50401
Phone: (641) 423-6223
Fax: (641) 423-9995
CORPORATE / BUSINESS LAW - Frequently Asked Questions
I. Overview IV. Organizing Your Business
II. Financing and the Business Plan V. Business Insurance
III. Permits, Licenses, and Other Legal Concerns    
"Contact an Iowa corporate / business lawyer representing clients in Forest City, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation."
Webster County Courthouse Fort Dodge Iowa  

Permits, Licenses, and Other Legal Concerns

As a new business owner, you will face a number of legal issues, including licenses and permits, zoning, name and trademark registration, and others. You should consult an attorney with experience in business planning and these areas in order to protect your legal rights.
When naming your business, you should first see whether the name is legally available. Your state's secretary of state can inform you whether the name you've chosen for your business is taken. Often, this information is readily available from the secretary of state's website. You can also find contact information for these companies. You should also determine if your name conflicts with a registered trademark, by visiting the federal Patent and Trademark Office's website at


You may require a license or permit to operate your business, depending on what your business is and where your business is located. You should carefully research all regulations and laws governing your business; your state and local governments (and your local Chamber of Commerce) can help you find the requirements you need to fulfill.

In most cases, you need a state license to work as a:

Contractor/trade worker

Often, city or county governments regulate business activity by requiring permits, including:

Noise permits
Equipment permits
Construction permits
Public gathering permits
Sellers' permits

You may be required to pay ongoing fees, update fees, or to complete regular testing for some business activities. Many jurisdictions require businesses to publicly post their licenses and permits.
Many city and county governments also enforce zoning regulations. Government zoning classifies land into different zones, with separate rules regarding land use, the size and height of allowed structures, and many other aspects of ownership. Zoning is part of a state's "police power", which allows states and local governments to regulate land use for the benefit of the public. It is a good idea to understand zoning restrictions in your area before purchasing land or starting up a business.

Given the amount of legal preparation involved in starting a business, and the consequences of failing to do so, you should contact a business / corporate lawyer for help with business planning and land use matters.

Copyright © MMIX JAKOBIE
Back To Top
If you would like to schedule a initial consultation contact an Iowa corporate / business attorney, representing clients in Forest City, Iowa at the Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C.. Give us a call at (641) 423-6223 or email us at
NOTICE: The purpose of this web site and the content herein is to provide information to anyone considering hiring our law firm or referring someone to our firm.

Please understand that anyone communicating with our firm through this internet site is hereby advised that any such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor protect the communication as confidential until a written agreement establishing an attorney-client relationship is signed. Further, any failure on the part of our firm or any lawyer in the firm to respond to your inquiry must be considered as a declination on our part to represent you or anyone you are making inquiry on behalf of in this manner.
Mason City, Iowa Attorney practicing in Iowa primarily in Workers' Compensation & Personal Injury. Lawyers at the Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C. are dedicated to serve their clients in Iowa, including the cities of Mason City, Algona, Allison, Boone, Cedar Rapids, Charles City, Clarion, Dakota City, Des Moines, Eldora, Forest City, Fort Dodge, Garner, Grundy Center, Hampton, Marshalltown, Mount Pleasant, Nevada, New Hampton, Northwood, Osage, Toledo, Vinton, Waterloo, Waverly, Webster City and West Union, and the communities that make up Cerro Gordo, Benton, Black Hawk, Boone, Bremer, Butler, Chickasaw, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Howard, Humboldt, Kossuth, Linn, Marshall, Mitchell, Polk,  Story, Tama, Webster, Winnebago, Worth, Wright counties.
© MMXIV Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C. Email: Address: 214 North Adams, Mason City, Iowa 50401 Phone: (641) 423-6223
Home I Firm Overview l Attorneys l Practice Areas - Workers' Compensation - Social Security Disability - Real Estate - Personal Injury - Wrongful Death - Auto / Car Accidents - Mediation - Criminal Defense - Estate Planning / Probate - Corporate / Business Law l Resources - Contact
Iowa Business Organization Forest City Attorney Formation Winnebago County Incorporation Registered Agent Limited Liability Transaction Lawyer
Web Site Design By JAKOBIE