Corporate / Business Law
Criminal Defense
Estate Planning / Probate
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Personal Injury
Real Estate
Social Security Disability
Workers' Compensation
Wrongful Death
Scott D. Brown
John P. Lander
Kim R. Snitker
Travis M. Armbrust
Kaitlyn J. Ausborn
Brown, Kinsey,
Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C.

214 North Adams,
Mason City, Iowa 50401
Phone: (641) 423-6223
Fax: (641) 423-9995
SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY - Frequently Asked Questions
I. General Information VI. Social Security Disability Benefits
II. Disability Eligibility  

A. Social Security Disability Programs


Filing for Social Security Disability


     1.  Definition of Disability

  A. When to File for Social Security Disability        2.  Disabled Widow's and Widower's benefits
  B. Where to File for Social Security Disability        3.  Disabled Adult Child Benefits
  C. How to File for Social Security Disability   B. Supplemental Security Income benefits

D. After the Claim is Filed

       1.  Personal Benefits
IV. The Decision Process
       2.  Supplemental Security Income Child's               Disability
V. Appeals
"Contact an Iowa Social Security disability lawyer representing clients in Forest City, Iowa today to schedule your initial consultation."
Howard County Courthouse Cresco Iowa  

Filing for Social Security Disability

When to File for Social Security Disability

You should file for social security disability benefits as soon as you become disabled and are unable to work. The whole process can take a very long time. Therefore, the sooner you get started, the sooner you will be able to gain the money needed to avoid financial trouble.


Where to File for Social Security Disability

You can apply for benefits in person at any Social Security office, by telephone, on the internet or by mail. You have the right to an individual meeting at your local Social Security office. Going to a local office in person may allow you to receive advice from the agency workers, giving you an opportunity to correct any mistakes on your application prior to filing, and possibly allow for more personal treatment of your claim. One of the benefits of going to the office directly is that you will have up to date information and forms to file your claim properly.

How to File for Social Security Disability

The federal government states that the process will proceed more quickly if you go into your conference prepared with certain information. Therefore, along with your application, the government recommends completion of a Disability Report, which is available at the government offices, and on-line through the Social Security website. The information that you will need includes:

Social Security number

A complete summary of the employers for whom you have worked in the past 15 years, including a brief work description for each employer and their address's and phone number.

Dependants SSI numbers

Certified Copy of Birth Certificate

Names, addresses and phone numbers of:


Most recent W-2 form




          Other health care facilities

Examples of activities able and not able to do

Dates of all visits to above

Names and the dosage of all medication

All related medical records

Explanation of whether or not the injury or illness is expected to last at least 12 months, or result in death

All laboratory and testing results

Doctor's Report

Your doctor's report should include all specific information to satisfy the government's proof requirements. It must include, based on a recent examination, the diagnosis of injuries or illnesses causing the severe impairment of work capacity and an explanation of the restrictions to work resulting from the impairment.

After the Claim is Filed

Once your application is received, or following the interview, a Social Security representative will review the information you have presented. If the application meets certain basic criteria, it will be forwarded to State Disability Determination Services (called DDS offices).

The medical professionals listed in your application may be contacted by doctors and other medical professionals employed by state agencies. All relevant information should be gathered through the initial interview process. If a more in-depth analysis is needed, the government may ask you to undergo a special examination by your own doctor or another agency-assigned doctor.

The SSA office will determine if you are eligible for disability at the "reconsideration" step.

Unfortunately, many initial Social Security Disability claims are denied. Due to the complicated processes of filing and appealing denials, obtaining a qualified Social Security Disability attorney will often help to obtain benefits.

Copyright © MMIX JAKOBIE
Back To Top
If you would like to schedule a initial consultation contact an Iowa Social Security disability attorney, representing clients in Forest City, Iowa at the Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C.. Give us a call at (641) 423-6223 or email us at
NOTICE: The purpose of this web site and the content herein is to provide information to anyone considering hiring our law firm or referring someone to our firm.

Please understand that anyone communicating with our firm through this internet site is hereby advised that any such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor protect the communication as confidential until a written agreement establishing an attorney-client relationship is signed. Further, any failure on the part of our firm or any lawyer in the firm to respond to your inquiry must be considered as a declination on our part to represent you or anyone you are making inquiry on behalf of in this manner.
Mason City, Iowa Attorney practicing in Iowa primarily in Workers' Compensation & Personal Injury. Lawyers at the Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C. are dedicated to serve their clients in Iowa, including the cities of Mason City, Algona, Allison, Boone, Cedar Rapids, Charles City, Clarion, Dakota City, Des Moines, Eldora, Forest City, Fort Dodge, Garner, Grundy Center, Hampton, Marshalltown, Mount Pleasant, Nevada, New Hampton, Northwood, Osage, Toledo, Vinton, Waterloo, Waverly, Webster City and West Union, and the communities that make up Cerro Gordo, Benton, Black Hawk, Boone, Bremer, Butler, Chickasaw, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Howard, Humboldt, Kossuth, Linn, Marshall, Mitchell, Polk, Story, Tama, Webster, Winnebago, Worth, Wright counties.
© MMXIV Brown, Kinsey, Funkhouser & Lander, P.L.C. Email: Address: 214 North Adams, Mason City, Iowa 50401 Phone: (641) 423-6223
Home I Firm Overview l Attorneys l Practice Areas - Workers' Compensation - Social Security Disability - Real Estate - Personal Injury - Wrongful Death - Auto / Car Accidents - Mediation - Criminal Defense - Estate Planning / Probate - Corporate / Business Law l Resources - Contact
Iowa Social Security Disability Attorney Forest City Medicare Benefits Lawyer Winnebago County
Web Site Design By JAKOBIE